To see more recipes in our magazine CLICK HERE!
Meat Pastries with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Main, Starter
- 1 lb. ground meat
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3-4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- Half a box of fresh button mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons no msg mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Meat:
- Place ground meat in a pan on medium heat. Use a spoon to stir and break apart the meat as it cooks. 2. Once it is mostly no longer pink, remove from heat. Strain off the fat from pan.
- Return to medium heat and add spices. Stir till it becomes fragrant and then add the ketchup. The mixture will become wet and hold together a little.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit till you are ready to use as filling.
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until softened. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add in another tablespoon of oil and then stir in the flour. The mixture will begin to thicken, but keep stirring so it does not burn.
- After 30-60 seconds, slowly add the water, ½ a cup at a time. Whisk to remove any clumps.
- Add the mushroom soup mix and parsley. Stir and allow to cook till thickened. If too thick, add a bit more water.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding some salt and pepper.
For the Pastries:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper that has been sprayed with non -stick cooking spray.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out a large square of the puff pastry. You want to a thin dough, but not too thin or it will tear. Use some flour on the bottom and top if you find it gets too sticky.
- Cut dough into 3.5x3.5 inch squares.
- Place a small spoonful of the meat mixture in the middle of the square.
- Pull one corner over to meet the other to form a triangle and use your fingers to pinch the dough together.
- Flip over the pastry and use a fork to create a design around the edges.
- Continue this process until there is no more meat mixture left.
- Place onto baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake for around 15 minutes or until golden brown.