To see more recipes in our magazine CLICK HERE!
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Main
- 2 lbs beef, you can use chuck roast chunks or cholent type meat cubes, preferably with not too much fat
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced or crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Reserved liquid from the can of pineapples and enough water to reach 4 cups
- 4-6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cups pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Water, if needed
Prep the meat (if using cheaper cut):
- Slice the raw chunks of meat very thinly, against the grain, into small 1-2 inch strips. Remove any big portions of fat.
- Place beef strips in a bowl and pour over the baking soda, mixing well.
- Let sit 30 minutes, then rinse off the meat. Pat dry.
To cook meat:
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Turn to medium heat and add the beef strips. Let cook till slightly browned, stirring every so often, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, salt and pepper and cook another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the water, pineapple juice and 4 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Stir, bring to boil then cover and cook on low for 40 minutes.
- Check back and see if the meat is soft enough, if not just continue cooking covered till the meat has softened.
- Once it is soft enough, taste to see if you would like it sweeter. If so, add the rest (or some) of the brown sugar. At this point also add in the pineapple tidbits and bring to a low boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water and add this to the meat. As it boils the sauce will thicken. Add a little water to thin the sauce if needed.