To see more recipes in our magazine CLICK HERE!
Healthier Apple Pie
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 slices
For the Crust
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup boiling water
For the Filling
- 8 red apples, or a mix of red and green, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup*
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Splash of water, to thin
- Preheat oven 350؛F (180؛C).
- Mix together all the crust ingredients until they form a dough. Add some more flour if too sticky, but not too much or it will result into a dry crust. Divide the dough in half.
- Roll out half the dough on parchment paper. Place the dough on the bottom and up the sides of a pie dish. Pierce holes all over the dough using a fork. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes till firm.
- Mix together the filling ingredients.
- Roll out the other half of the dough to fit the top of the pie dish.
- Once the crust is out of the oven, pour in the filling and top with the other half of dough. Use your fingers to pinch the edges, then cut slits on the top of the crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, till apples are soft. You can check by putting a knife through the slits.
- Remove from oven and brush the top of the crust with the glaze.
*Don’t swap the maple syrup for honey or anything else. I’ve tried it and it is not nearly as good. The maple syrup makes it really delicious.