To see more recipes in our magazine CLICK HERE!
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 10 slices
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- ½ cup sugar (can use less if your juice is not very tart)
- 1 large (16oz) non-dairy whip
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Garnish- Pomegranate arils
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line an 18x13 sheet pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs till pale and fluffy then add in the vanilla sugar, sugar and water. Beat till combined.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and lightly mix/fold into the eggs. Do not over mix, but make sure there are no clumps of flour left.
- Pour and spread evenly onto greased sheet pan. Bake 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and slightly golden
- Once removed from the oven, peel it off of the paper then roll the cake up with the paper still on it. Set aside to cool.
For the Syrup
- Bring the pomegranate juice and sugar to a boil in a saucepan.
- Allow to boil till it has reduced to half of the original amount, then lower flame and simmer.
- After 50-60 minutes the liquid should be slightly thicker and have a rich dark color.
- Remove and let cool. It will thicken as it cools.
For the Cream:
- Beat the whipped topping and powdered sugar till doubled in size.
- Pour around 4-6 tablespoons of the pomegranate syrup into the cream and use a knife to swirl it in. Add more syrup, to taste.
- Unroll the cake and smear an even layer of the cream.
- Roll up the cake and place seam side down on a serving platter.
- Top cake with leftover cream and sprinkle on pomegranate arils.