To see more recipes in our magazine CLICK HERE!
Meat over Hummus with Pita Chips
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, garlic powder and onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ½ cup water
Easy Creamy Hummus:
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained, with some liquid reserved
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ garlic powder
- ¼ cup water, to thin
- Salt, to taste
- 4 pitas cut into 6 triangles
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Meat:
- Add the ground meat to a sauté pan on medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Once it is no longer pink, drain the fat and return to heat.
- Add in the spices and mix with the meat till fully coated. Then add in the sweet chili sauce, ketchup and water.
- Allow to boil, then simmer for another minute or two.
For the Hummus:
- In a food processor fitted with the S blade, put in just the chickpeas. Blend, scraping down the sides every so often and adding about half the can of the reserved liquid to help it come together. Keep blending till you no longer see large chunks. This will result in a very smooth hummus.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue to blend.
- If it looks too thick add in a little water, it will firm up a bit in the fridge as well. Taste and add salt if needed.
For the Pita Chips:
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Place the cut up pitas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle on the olive oil. Rub the garlic and oil onto the cut up pitas.
- Spread out evenly and bake for 20-30 minutes or until crispy. You may flip them over in the middle of baking, but will be fine without doing so.
- Place the hummus in the middle of a serving plate, creating a well in the center. Top with the warm ground meat. Serve with pita chips.