To see more recipes from Bayis CLICK HERE!
Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 7 cups water, more if needed to thin
- 1 teaspoon each of salt, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and turmeric.
- Pinch of black pepper
- Cut the butternut squash in half. Scoop out seeds, pierce with a knife and bake in a 375F oven, uncovered, till soft in center, about 30 minutes. Scoop out and mash a bit with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot, and sauté the onion, carrots, and garlic for about 5 minutes till the onions are soft. Add lentils and seasoning and stir till fragrant.
- Add in the 7 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then add in the mashed butternut squash. Stir and let simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.