Turkey Barley Soup
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 6 cups water, plus more if needed to thin soup
- ⅓ cup barley
- 2 handfuls of chopped spinach- I used frozen
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add in the ground turkey and allow to cook through while breaking it up into very small pieces.
- Add in the onions and carrots. Sauté till the onions begin to soften. Then add in the spices, barley and water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, till the barley is soft, about 45 minutes.
- Add in the chopped spinach and cook for another 10 minutes. Add more water if soup is too thick, and more salt if desired.