Cheese-Stuffed Eggplant Bites
Author: Rena Tuchinsky
Recipe type: Dairy
Serves: 10-15 Bites
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- Oil, for frying
- Place the whole eggplant on a microwave safe plate and poke holes around it using a fork. Microwave 7-10 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with all the spices.
- Chop up the eggplant into small pieces. Mix in one egg and 1 cup of the spiced breadcrumbs.
- Take about two tablespoons worth of the eggplant mixture and create an imprint in the center using your thumb. Place one cube of cheese inside and pinch the eggplant mixture over it. Roll it in your palms to create a circular shape and be sure no cheese is poking out.
- Roll into the remaining breadcrumbs and set aside. Continue with the rest of the eggplant mixture.
- Heat a large pot of oil and fry the eggplant bites until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
These can be easily reheated in the oven. Bake uncovered till crispy.